03 July 2008

Julia Signs

Julia uses a couple of signs (the only ones I know) in order to get us to do the things she wants. Actually I should say Julia uses a couple of her versions of signs. Since I find the sign language incredibly more bearable than the whining grunt she uses otherwise, I tend to do what she asks. Here she is showing off her entire vocabulary (we're also working on "I Love You", but that's a pretty complicated sign for eighteen months) If you want to see how the signs are really supposed to be done, this website has a video dictionary.



And a few notes ... The sign for "more" she also uses whenever you say the word "Please." I was trying to teach her to ask "More, please!" and ended up confusing her. Aunt Laura taught us the sign for "Help!" when she was visiting. I'm hoping Julia will start to use it rather than whining. Julia's version is rather different than the real sign, but it gets the job done!

The sign language has been a tremendous help especially since she's still not speaking English. I only wish I had gone ahead and taken classes before she was born so I could use more signs and communicate with her better.

0 comments: