23 November 2007

Patience

There are times when I'm tired and/or cranky or Julia's tired and/or cranky and I'll tell her, "Kid, it sure will be great when you can ...
...understand when I tell you that we will be home in less than five minutes and I will get you your bottle then, but I can't do anything about it now and could you please stop screaming so Mommy can concentrate on driving?"
... actually talk in words so I can listen in to all the conversations you have with your toys or participate in the ones you try to have with Dad and I at dinner."
... are able to sit down and eat a PB&J with some chips and apples slices rather than have all your food diced and fed to you in small increments."

But then Julia will perform her newest trick where she crawls over to whatever piece of floor I am currently sitting on, uses my body as a ladder to pull herself up to standing, wraps her arms around my shoulders, lays her head against me and just ... breathes. And I return her hug while rubbing her back and whispering, "You know what, baby? There's no rush."

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

This one brought me to tears. You are SO right! Send my love.

BB said...

You've got it right, sweetie. Hang onto that thought in the coming months. It goes way too fast but you don't realize it until it is over... Love you guys

Abby Green said...

This is a beautiful post! I'm so glad I dropped by to read this :-)