13 September 2006

Books are fun

I bought The Peanut her first books today. I know, most of you are wondering what took me so long. Actually, if you've been to our house you know that several shelves of our bookcases are filled with children's books. However, I have stayed away from board books since most of them are just picture books in a sturdier format. Today, though, I found the bargain books bin at Marshall's (the store that will bankrupt us before The Peanut is even born because I ALWAYS find something cute for her there). I didn't really expect to discover anything worthwhile in there, but ended up finding several of my favorite read-alouds from my days at the Dallas Public Library Children's Center.
So, these are the first books I've bought for The Peanut as an actual person, not just some vague idea of the kids I'd have "someday."

I also had the idea that (if anyone is interested) those people that live far away and won't get to see The Peanut that often should tape themselves reading her a book. If you happen to have a video camera that uses MiniDV cassettes, you could film yourselves, send me the tape and I could make it into a DVD for her to watch. Eh, if you like the idea and have the time, drop me a line or just send me the tape of yourself. I promise, no posting the performances on the Internet, and I'll return the video tapes.
We haven't started reading to The Peanut yet, but I want to do so soon.
And here is Echo wondering why I leave the house so often in my great, rumbling beast, but keep coming back carrying bags that don't contain any toys or treats for her. Who could I be spending my money on if not her?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, the caterpillar book! I love it! I would LOVE to do some "books on tape" for The Peanut. I used to read aloud to my nephews and niece all the time when I lived in Alvin and still do every time I go home. I bet I can even try to talk Christopher into doing one, too.

The Bouldins said...

The Very Hungry Caterpillar is one of my favorites, too. Now I've got my eye out for Good Night, Moon and The Runaway Bunny.
It'd be great if you and/or Christopher would read some books for The Peanut. I know the Bouldins's video camera takes the miniDV cassettes. You could read them together and do the voices. :P