05 March 2006

Church visits dos y tres

The past two weekends, David and I visited two different churches. I've been too lazy to write about them until now. I like to keep track so I can remember what we thought of each church. So, this is more a blog for me. Feel free to skip it. :)
The first church we visited on February 26th. Powell United Methodist Church. We attended the Contemporary Worship service at 9:30 am. Like our visit to Faith UMC, we were told that the pastor preaching was not the regular pastor. Walking into the sanctuary, the church gave a good vibe. There was a nice buzz of chatter and a good mix of ages. And the chairs were comfy. :) The service itself was okay. My main problem was the music. Singing is my favorite part of church. I like to sing, but am not very good. In church, I can just blend in with the other people around me. It's not as lonely as singing in my car. The music at Powell UMC seemed chosen for the express purpose of showcasing the band's talent. It was a good band ... excellent singing. But no one around us was singing. And I didn't really feel comfortable joining in. You got the feeling you were supposed to listen, not sing along. Add to that a sermon that was extremely hard to follow and it left me feeling ... eh. We'll probably visit again to hear the regular pastor and see if we like the music any better.
On March 5th, we visited Second Baptist Church. Our neighbors, Jack and Janice, invited us and we accepted. This was another small church. Mr. Jack said they average about 120-150 in church each Sunday. There was only one service (10:45). We chose not to go to Sunday School. We had a good time. During the "Meet and Greet" I told David, "This is your dad's type of church!" I don't think one person stayed put. Everyone wandered all over the church saying hello. We were introduced to at least a dozen people. We felt very welcome. The music was well-performed and we got to sing along. We both enjoyed listening to the minister. He referred to himself as "Bapti-costal" because he is a little different than the average Baptist minister. Hee. We had a good time and will probably go back.
I think at this point, we'll try to visit several churches and make a list of those we'd like to visit again. Then we'll go to those for a month or so to get a better feel for them before making a decision. Of course, we may end up visiting one and saying "This is it" and not need to visit any more. We'll see.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Chris went with me to the First UMC of Paris on Sunday. I fell in love. It is SO beautiful. The pastor seemed nice, too, and no one tried to hug me. I am sticking with this church for a while, I think.