23 July 2008

I Wish I'd Left That Door Open

The kids had checkups today. Julia-18 month; Dax-4 month. They were supposed to go Monday a week ago, but that was the morning that Dave left for NJ for three days, Christopher was in NC and I shut the front door of the house with my keys still inside. So instead of showing up at the pediatrician's office, I showed up on my neighbor's doorstep begging for a phone book and a place to sit down. Those sweet people didn't even blink. Just led me into their house and called the locksmith for me. They even offered to pay him and let me pay them back if I didn't have cash in the house! What a blessing. I had some time to call and reschedule the kids' appointments to today**.

Both kids are off the charts in terms of head circumference. Newby family, I'm lookin' at you! Our children have enormous noggins! Julia is also off the charts in height. She's a tall little girl. Here are the stats:

JULIA
height 34.6 inches
weight 25 lbs 13 oz (70 percentile)
head 49.1 cm

DAX
length 25.2 inches (50 percentile)
weight 17 pounds 5.2 oz (90 percentile)
head 45 cm

Both kids had to get shots. Julia only had one shot and she didn't make a sound. Dave said she flinched slightly, but not a whimper! Big Girl! Dax screamed his little head off and still seems to be a bit tender in the thighs.

The doctor is a little concerned about Julia's lack of speech. She says Julia probably regressed a bit (as all children do) when her little brother came along, but if she doesn't really start saying a lot of actual English words by 22 months then we'll end up getting a referral to a speech therapist. Not something I really want to do so we're praying Julia starts letting us in on what all the jabber is about.

Dax looked pretty darn healthy. And seems to be doing well with his motor and social skills. Dr. Abby said to look for him to start crawling and such much earlier than Julia did because he'll be trying to keep up. She also said he's got a little tooth trying to poke through! WOW! There's a reason behind all that drool!

We are grateful for healthy babies and talented doctors.

**When I called to reschedule, the nurse told me they had nearly called that morning to see about rescheduling because Dr. Abby had lost a patient the night before. That pretty much stopped my pity party in its tracks. I might be stressed to the point of tears and out the money for a locksmith, but I still had my babies. Everything was a-okay.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was thinking about Dave and his talking - he didn't say much until he was almost two. It was so close that we taught him to reply to "How old are you?" with "almost two" so we didn't have to teach him a different number in only a couple of weeks. I'm not sure why I didn't think about it sooner. As you know he caught up quickly.
Love to all - go Newby noggins!!!