10 July 2007

Poor Kid

I made Julia's first "real" baby food today (rice cereal and baby oatmeal don't count in my book), but that's not why I feel sorry for her.

I feel bad for her because I'm not feeding it to her tonight! HA! Dave has a double header with his volleyball team and won't be home until well after bedtime. It doesn't seem fair to start our girl on real food and not let him be a part of it. So, Julia will just have to wait!

And that's not really why I feel sorry for her, either.

She has a wicked diaper rash. This stuff just won't go away. I've had to start setting timers around the house every time I change her so I make sure I don't let more than 90 minutes pass before she gets a clean diaper. And if Echo is overly interested in her behind or she starts screaming, I have to check to see if she's pooped (which she's been doing 4-5 times a day) and change her immediately if she has. I missed a poop diaper earlier this evening and when I changed her, her poor bottom was blistered! Eek! It mostly clears up as long as I am super diligent about changing her and slather her diaper area with Vaseline at every diaper change, but if I wait too long ... BAM! it returns. It's like our baby is suddenly dispensing Toxic Poo.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wonder if it is from the heat and humidity outside (even though the Toxic Poo sounds really funny). Mekenzie has the same problem...it looks so sore and I can't get rid of it even if I change her diaper all the time. Like you said...it looks blistered. I was thinking about switching to the cloth diapers like you do...but if that doesn't always help...I guess I'll have to try something else. Maybe let her play naked in the kiddie pool we bought...that could make for some great photos. Especially when she is older and we break out the photos to show her boyfriend. heheheheh....

The Bouldins said...

Cloth diapers haven't seemed to make a difference. Other than I'm doing a load every day because she's going through them so fast.

I read on one website to give her bottom time to air dry between changings so I've been doing that.

I've also read to give her a soak in baking soda and warm water to help dry out the rash. I guess we'll try that in the evenings this week and see if it helps.

I'm flat out of ideas. Especially since we haven't changed her diet at all and most sites seem to focus on that as the problem.

Homan House said...

Megan had a similar problem a month or so ago (she has scars from the blistering, which our doctor said was just stomach acid coming through too quick -- Poor kid!)

We got a diaper creme prescription from our pediatrician that was great (it is called "Happy Hiney" and has to be compounded at a compounding pharmacy) along with something I had never heard of called Culterelle (which is similar to a powdered form of eating yogurt) that apparently helps stabilize everything.

Get better soon Julia!

The Bouldins said...

Thanks AnnaLisa.

Julia also has a few light red scars on her bum. I'll have to call the doctor and ask about a stronger diaper creme and the Culterelle.