12 March 2006

You may now safely enjoy our deck

Whew!
Dave and I spent the past two weekends adding support to the deck. When the inspector gave us his report before we bought the house, he said the deck was not built to code and needed some work. Since we want to have Dave's birthday party (June 3rd ... come on by :) out there, we knew we had to get started on it soon.

Dave worked out the calculations and figured out what we needed. Several visits to Lowe's and Home Depot later and we were ready to go. Dave notched the boards and I helped drag them around back.


We added a board in each spot between two of the current supports. Pressure treated wood is not light. It was hard work getting those boards into place.



We started on the edge near the stairs and when we got to the other end of the deck, we found a problem: I was too short to help hold up the far end of the board while Dave secured it. Oops! Another trip to Lowe's and the purchase of some heavy duty zip ties solved the problem.

Then Dave spent an afternoon acquiring blisters and popping them as he nailed the boards to the deck. You can barely see the row of shiny nail heads.



How did Echo keep busy? During the day she wrestled with her current favorite outdoor toy.
At night she kept watch over the plants I spent the afternoon repotting while David nailed boards. (From the left, I've got lettuce, chives, parsley, strawberries, rosemary and [way to the left] basil. The seeds for the other pots are still in my mini greenhouses.)

0 comments: