07 January 2006

We won, but where were the fights?

We went to the Knoxville Ice Bears game with our friends Steve and Gianna and Josh and his girlfriend. It was a very fast-paced game in the first period with the Ice Bears scoring 7 goals and the Pee Dee Cyclones (I know, I don't understand the name either) scoring once.
The Ice Bears won with a final score of 9 to 3, but I still felt gypped. Eleven bucks a seat, crappy view and we only got to see TWO fights! Even the two fights felt staged. Very karate movie like. I don't really understand the rules to hockey at all, so I go for the corny promotions and the fights!

Friday night was Hospital Bed Race night which wasn't too bad. No one fell off the hospital bed, though.

My favorite part is the Puck Throw. This happens at every game (or at least the two I've attended). The arena sells squishy orange pucks with a space to write your name and phone number for a dollar apiece. Between the second and third periods, the ice girls set out black dots on the ice and everyone chucks the pucks aiming for the dots. Various prizes are won depending on which dot your puck lands on.

The best part comes after the throwing and prize awarding. The promoters managed to convince the kids of Knoxville that they can have the best time of all running around on the ice and picking up the pucks. There are no prizes for the person who snags the most pucks, just the sheer joy of being on the ice and a job well done, I suppose. Genius.

0 comments: