08 January 2006

So she'll never win "Friendliest" superlative

We took Echo to the PetSafe Village Dog Park today. We had heard about it, but had never gotten around to going. A January Sunday afternoon with temperatures in the mid-fifties seemed like a pretty good reason. Although it is a lie that the park requires dogs to be on a leash, the dogs we met seemed friendly enough. Not to Echo. She appears to be very protective of the aroma emanating from her rear end. She freaked whenever a dog tried to sniff her butt. As this is the traditional "Nice to Meet You" gesture for canines, she did not make any new friends. Near the end of the visit, she tentatively began sniffing other dogs' noses which was a step in the right direction.
She did become quite accomplished on the ramp:
And took a much needed break at the top, far above the scary four-legged rabble below.
I don't know how she'll react to a classful of dogs on Thursday night when we start puppy education classes at PetsMart.

Considering this little puppy (who could have stood on Dave's palm) terrified her, I'm a little concerned. I'm sure she'll do fine in a more controlled environment with puppies her own age ... I hope!

0 comments: